The City of East St. Louis inspects building construction and land development projects including: grading, driveway and sidewalk construction, and landscaping. All new construction must be inspected by the City of East St. Louis before a Certificate of Occupancy can be obtained from Regulatory Affairs.
The following are required inspections for new buildings (additions, renovations, alterations):
- Footing Inspection - Bottom to trench - prior to the pouring of concrete
- Foundation Inspection - prior to the placement of backfill
- Slab Inspection - prior to the placement of concrete
- Electrical Rough Wiring
- Plumbing Rough Installation
- Framing Inspection - Afterpassing Electrical, Plumbing roughs and before insulation
- Insulation Inspection - prior to the installation of gypsum board
- Final Electric
- Final Building, Electric, Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing Inspections
- All site work, including grading and landscaping
- All utility work on site
- All off site utility work
- Water and Sewer line installations and taps
- Driveway and parking lots, including striping where applicable
Other inspections may be required depending on the scope of the project. Contact Regulatory Affairs if you have any questions.
To request a city inspection, call 618-482-6600. Please allow 24 hours for inspection. Your request must include:
- Name and Type of Inspection requested
- Permit Number
Call when work is done; do not anticipate. If your inspection is not approved, do not call for a re-inspection until the problems are repaired and the work is ready for re-inspection. If your inspection is not approved a second time for the same violation, you will receive a Violation Notice. Your next inspection will be 3 business days after your request.